Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Spouse's Sacrifice


Regular readers of my blog will know that I tend to avoid writing about current events. My friends on Facebook will not see posts from me about politics or tragedies in the news. It's mostly because I have a belief that I don't have anything different to add. I also tend to see it as an information overload. 

But a recent event on Feb 2nd affected me differently, and I have spent the past few weeks wanting to say something, but without knowing how. With all the news coverage that followed, one main point stuck in my mind. That's what I want to focus on now.

So bear with me for a few minutes, as I try to convey my point of view from the shooting of Navy veteran Chris Kyle.

Chris was one of my high school classmates and a member of my church youth group. I sat next to him in English our senior year, and we both went on to Tarleton State University. The last time I saw Chris in person was probably on the Tarleton campus in 1995. I left when I got married and started my own Navy adventure. As a Navy wife. 

During the time of his book signings, I was able to connect to a lot of information about him online - mostly from Facebook postings of my MHS classmates. I felt a connection - not only because of the classmate I knew - but because of his wife. I had read that she wanted him to make a choice for his marriage and his family. 

He did.   

That's my focus right here. I don't think enough can ever be said about military spouses and the sacrifices they make. My husband had a chief who once said, "Your wife didn't come in your sea bag." Now, I'm not downplaying the military or the sacrifices they make, but so often we thank our service members for what they give up. Let's also remember the spouses. 

There are troubles we may not realize that a military spouse goes through. Friendships lost due to distance. Each new duty station brings new challenges. There are the logistics of trying to complete simple tasks when there is a deployment. There are moms who deliver babies without their husband at home. The adjustments of running a household solo, only to have the service member come home and turn things upside down. The joy of being home, too soon replaced with tension. The nightmares that come because of the deep down fear of losing your spouse. 

My writing may seem disjointed and broken right now, but this is a subject dear to my heart. 

I've lived it. 

I know the fear that comes from a week without a phone call. I know how hard it can be be with a 17-month old and a newborn when your husband is sent on deployment. I know the difficulty of trying to shop for groceries and manage the cars. I know what it takes to survive a foreign country doing all the above. 

I also know the joy that comes from having your spouse choose his marriage and children when his service time is coming to a close.

I say all this for this main point: Say a prayer for a military spouse today. Reach out to one if you can. Thank her (or him) for the sacrifice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment