Monday, July 25, 2011

Porta-potties, bananas, and safety pins

This weekend marked a big moment for me.  A year ago, I decided to train to run a 5K in August.  What surprises me the most is that one year later, I'm still running.  So, what better way to celebrate this occasion than by compiling a list of the top three things I learned my first year running road races.

1.  I can use a porta-potty.

This may not seem like such a big deal to some, but I'm the girl who would seriously restrict fluid intake to avoid this unpleasantry.  I've made it through concerts and soccer games, bypassing large drinks to the point of near dehydration.  I would walk the extra half-mile to use the flushable toilets for our family reunion at the lake.  But, thanks to having four kids, and the need to increase fluids before a race, using a porta-potty is inevitable.  But you can bet if there's an alternative, I'm standing in the longer line to use the indoor facilities.

Note to other runners/spectators:  Never use the porta-potties after a race.  Enough said.

2.  I still can't eat whatever I want.

I started running as a way to drop a few final pounds.  Then I gained seven more.  The post-race recovery fuel can put back every calorie I burned while running, and sometimes more.  This is especially true if the race is followed by a stop to bring home donuts (for the kids, of course).  In the very early days, I would have no appetite once I finished a race.  Alas, those days are gone.  Race sponsors go all out providing bananas, chocolate milk, yogurt, fajitas, baked potatoes, granola bars, and bagels.  The bigger the race, the more to choose from.  There's always something I can't pass up.  And I've earned it, right?

3.  I'll never have to search for a safety pin again.

I recently cleaned out my car, and unloaded at least 20 safety pins.  These were used to pin race number bibs to my shirts.  Gone are the days of digging out my seldom used sewing box to make a temporary clothing alteration.  But still, when I go pick up a race packet, if they ask me if I need pins, I say, "Yes, please."  With the races I've done this past year, only once did I need to pull from my stash because no pins were included.  It was a good thing I saved all those.

I could continue with how I've learned to avoid the oblivious runner in headphones, the chronic spitter, and the walkers stretched four across (who must have missed the announcement for slower runners to start at the back).  But I guess those are just pet peeves.

So, I'm eagerly anticipating what the next year of racing teaches me.  With the marathon goal in there, it's sure to be a doozie.     

No comments:

Post a Comment