Sunday, August 7, 2011

Breaking Records

It's been a week of making and breaking records here in Texas.  There have been record high daily temperatures, record high electricity usage, along with a record drought.  This week, we are on track to break another record with the number of days in a row where the temperature has climbed over 100 degrees. 

All the talk in the news of setting new records got me to thinking about some other records I'd like to see broken.  There are those that would benefit everyone, such as the lowest gas prices ever, but what about those that are important to my daily sanity?  To take a break from the heat, I've compiled a list of records I'd like to see broken.  Maybe you can identify with these, or think of some of your own. 

1.  Number of minutes all of my children can be in the same room without arguing. 
I believe the current record holds at approximately 60 minutes, due in part to the average length of an animated movie.  Thanks to Blockbuster's summer movie rental rates, I have experienced a few more of these blissful times of peace. 

2.  The survival rate of a loaf of bread. 
The Wright household currently demolishes a loaf of bread at a rate of one for every two days.  It's even faster in the summertime when it's too hot to turn on the oven.  One round of grilled cheese sandwiches can take out more than half a loaf.  I am indebted to bakery outlets.
3.  Number of bites I take of my meal before one of the kids asks for a second helping. 
Technically, I haven't calculated the actual record on this one, but most of the time it's close to one.  There are many times I've only just lifted my fork to take my first bite.  I know there will come a day when I serve my family dinner, and they will be able to take care of their needs.  Until then, the microwave is my friend.  For those of you with tiny ones at home, it does get better.  You will soon be able to eat your meals in the same hour of your little ones while they're awake.

4.  Amount of time after a meal before someone is in the kitchen asking for a snack.
Keeping with the food theme, I know there will come a day that I will have finished cleaning up the kitchen after dinner and left the room before one of my kids comes rummaging for a snack.  I've yet to see it happen, but I have hope!

5.  The number of times a day I'm reminded how precious my children are.      
This is one record I'd like to break every day.  No matter how big my kids get, I want to look for those little blessings and appreciate every one of them.
 




    

No comments:

Post a Comment