Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A letter to the runner at the park last Tuesday

Dear Runner,

I don't think you meant to be obvious with your staring (or maybe you did).  In fact, to the average parent your look may have gone unnoticed.  But I caught it.  I've seen it many times before. store, school functions.

When you heard my son yelling at me that he was running as fast as he could, you surely thought I was the type of parent trying to push my son to do something he doesn't want to do.  Or maybe you thought I was trying to relive my childhood through his activities.  I'd like to take a minute to explain.

You see, my son doesn't have the typical mental abilities and maturity of other teenage boys.  My husband and I have had to find different ways to help him prepare for his future.  He needed a goal that was challenging, but one he could complete.  A self-esteem boost, if you will.  Together, my son and I decided on the running goal.

So when you saw me encouraging him to move faster and pick his feet up, it's because I've watched him run for the last two weeks, and I know what's he capable of.  I also know when he's finished running and completes that goal race, he will have a feeling about himself he's never experienced. 

I may not be able to change your opinion about me, or your view of how parents interact with their children, but I hope next time you'll take a moment to consider there may be more to the situation than what you can see.



No comments:

Post a Comment