Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Number One Fan

I have a fan.

Now, I'm not talking about the kind of fan that you use to circulate air.  Well, I do have a few of those (and they've worked some major overtime this summer), but that's not what I'm referring to here.  This type of fan is a real person - a person who admires me, my work, my accomplishments. 

I know.  It surprises me too...

I'm not talking about my children.  That would be too obvious.  Sure,there are times they are fans, but once the ice cream is finished and we're all back in the car, they have forgotten that I'm the "best mom ever."

So who is my number one fan?  It's my husband.  (Please pardon the momentary sappiness, I'll need it to get to my point.) 

My husband has always been a source of encouragement for me, but I've noticed it more in the last few years, especially these last few months.  It's the simple things he does to let me know he admires me. 

  • When I graduated with my Bachelor's degree, I saw such a look of pride on his face. 
  • After he read my first short story, I asked for his opinion.  He said, "Don't take this the wrong way, but it didn't sound like something you could write.  It's something I would find in a book."  I wasn't insulted. 
  • When I began running, he didn't complain about the time it took me away from our family.  He gets up while it's still dark on one of his few days off to drive me to a race, then wait anywhere from 25 minutes to 2 1/2 hours (depending on the distance) for me to finish. 
  • When I tell him what I need to pursue my goals he tells me "do what you need to do."  No questions asked. 
What I've noticed is how effortlessly it is for him.  He doesn't have to do much to make me feel important in my endeavors, but there is no doubt in my mind that he is my biggest fan.  That's how it should be, right?  But how am I doing with this?  How do I encourage my husband, my children, my parents, my friends?  Am I doing the things I need to do in order to let someone know how much I admire them?

Who out there knows without a doubt you're their biggest fan?  Is it a spouse, a child, a parent, a friend?  We should all have someone to cheer lead for.  I challenge you to take a step today to let that person know just how big of a fan you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment