Monday, September 26, 2011

Did you not know...

I can still amaze my children.  This is a big deal to me.  I rue the day I'm no longer a superstar in their eyes.  It's already becoming that way with my teenagers, but my younger ones still have times when they're wowed by me.

One night I was helping my youngest get ready for bed.  He started Kindergarten last month, and he is learning so quickly.  This was our conversation:

"Mommy, do you know how many months there are?"
"Yes, I do.  Did you learn that at school today?"
"Yes.  Mommy, tell me how many months there are."
"Twelve."
He gives me a big smile.
"Mommy, do you know how many days of the week there are?"
"Yes, there are seven."
"Oh, man!  You know everything!"

He had such a look of awe on his face because I knew the answers to his questions.  The first year of school all of my children have learned rapidly.  I look forward to hearing about new discoveries.  I relish the way their face lights up with fresh knowledge. 

I still need to do that myself.  I should continually be learning, and enjoy the process along the way.  I want to read more and explore interesting ideas.

At least once a week, this little five year-old will start a sentence with, "Mommy, did you not know..." and then proceed to tell me what new fact he's learned.

What fascinating information have you recently discovered that could finish that sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment