Monday, February 20, 2012

A Self-Examination of Vanity

Earlier this month, I posted this comment on Twitter:  “You never truly comprehend your own vanity until you discover your first gray hair.” 
Okay, so some of you out there are shaking your head and laughing at me.  Others are nodding in agreement.  If you’ve already experienced this and think I’m just being superficial… well…you’re right.  You’ll just have to bear with me through this post.
I have to tell you, I was completely unprepared for my reaction.  This piece of hair didn't exactly blend in either.  It was wiry and curly.  My first thought, after I spied this three-inch long, shimmery strand, was “How long has that been there?” followed by “What if there are more I can’t see?”  I then went through a myriad of emotions ranging from disbelief to alarm. 
I know I’m getting older.  I’ve had several things in my life lately to remind me, but I have to admit sometimes the little things sneak up on me.  I accepted the “laugh lines” around my eyes when they showed up, and I know I can no longer function on a package of Pop-Tarts and a Coke for breakfast.  I’m okay with that, but by finding that one strand of hair I began to question a few things about myself.
·    Will I still be able to consider myself low-maintenance?  Translated:  Will I color my hair?  I’m very simple (cheap) and try to stay away from things that require upkeep.  In fact, two years ago, I splurged on blond highlights, and I’m still growing them out.  I don’t do pedicures (it’s impossible to make my feet less ugly) and I haven’t done my nails since child number four was born.

·    Does this mean I’m vain?  If I spent so much time contemplating the bullet point above, then what does that say about my character?
 
·    Am I growing old gracefully?  Apparently not.

After all the time I spent pondering the above statements, I showed my husband the strand of hair.  He promptly plucked it from my head.
This morning as I was reading my chapter in Proverbs, I read this verse: 

“The glory of young men is their strength
And the honor of old men is their gray hair.”  Proverbs 20:30. 

I hope I remember that verse when the next one shows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment