Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goal 1: My Faith

Last week, I wrote about how I make goals for myself now instead of setting new year resolutions.  If you missed it, you can read it here.  I've been working on these goals pretty steadily for a few weeks, with some help from a few blogs and sites that I follow. 

I thought I would do something a little different for my posts in the month of January.  I need some accountability.  What I'm going to do for each post in January is share my goals I've set for a specific area of my life.

This week, I'm starting with the most important one.  Without goals to enrich my faith in God, none of the other areas of my life would matter.  When I don't put Him first, everything else falls apart.  In a big way.  It is probably the most vulnerable area of my life to share as well, but here goes.

1.  Put my daily quiet time first, at the beginning of the day. 
This means I have to make myself get up long before I start waking up kids.  I've been convicted about the amount of time I spend doing other things, but that my quiet time reading the Bible and praying has been "fit in" when I have time.  Translation:  I usually nod off if I push this to the evening.  This week, I've started setting my alarm to get up with plenty of time, so I'm not rushed.  I've also found that I get much more accomplished by putting things in the right order.

2.  Read through the book of Psalm and Proverbs one time each month.
I've posted on this before, and I want to have more praise, comfort, and wisdom present in my life.  What better way to do this than to read the books through at least twelve times?

3.  Memorize one new scripture a week.
I started a spiral notebook several months ago to do this, but it has since become a little dusty.  I dusted it off, and began this week with the last one I had written down.  "Let  no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29.  Let me assure you, I'm being tested with this one daily.  I need it imprinted in my mind.

These three goals will definitely challenge me, but my hope is that by sharing them, I will keep it up throughout the year.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment