Thursday, April 12, 2012

Looking for Attention?

When I was younger, I did what I could to fit in.  I didn’t like to stand out from the crowd; I just wanted to blend in.  I didn’t want to speak up or draw attention to myself, and there were so many times this attribute was a negative force in my life.  In some situations it’s only through God’s mercy that I’m still around. 
I’ve noticed in the last few years that no matter how much I want to blend in, it’s just not going to happen.  First of all, when our family expanded from three children to four, we drew attention whenever we went shopping or out to eat.  Two of my children have no qualms about being noticed by others, while it seems the other two - like me - would rather shrink back or run the opposite direction. 
While I definitely understand this tendency to blend in, I’m trying to discourage it in my children.  I’ve missed out on so many opportunities in my past because I was being shy.  The more I learn and grow in my faith is helping me understand this has been my biggest weakness.  I have been afraid of rejection, ridicule, or just being noticed. 

But I’m not called to blend in.  I’m not called to be part of the crowd.  I’m called to be different and stand out – no matter what the situation.  It’s time for me to be more assertive, more certain of who I am.  That’s what I need my children to emulate.
“You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.”  I John 4:4      

No comments:

Post a Comment