Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Little Things

If you ever want to gain a little perspective on life, try gardening with young children.  By young, I mean the age where they still enjoy going to fill up the watering can or to grab the tool you left on the front porch when you just made the trek to the back.  To listen to the thought process of my little ones just adds to my enjoyment of spending time in the garden.

Sunday evening, I was trying to finish some planting and I asked my youngest if he wanted to get the watering can off the front porch, but to be careful.  It was full.  He was excited to be given such an important job so he took off.  A few minutes later, I could hear him calling for me.  I knew the tone was for help so I sent the nine year-old to help him.

When he came running back (with his sister carrying the watering can), he was out of breath and bright-eyed.  He said, "Mommy, I prayed to God and asked for help because the watering can was too heavy.  Then Abby showed up to help me!"

I could have told him I sent Abby when I heard him call out, but I realized he was right.  He had prayed for help and help came.  His simple prayer was answered.

So often I save my prayers for the big things that come along - illnesses, job searches, surgeries, making the right decisions...  But I can learn from this simple little action by my six year-old.  God cares about all my needs, and he wants me to ask for his help.  It's not just the big things that matter.      

Have you prayed for any little things lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment