Friday, May 25, 2012

Fighting the High Cost of Food (Part 1)

Newsflash!!!!


My kids are growing!

Yes, I know.  It shouldn't have caught me by surprise.  I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden they want to eat all the time.  All four of them!  My youngest will finish off his entire kid's meal.  The teenagers now eat off of the adult menu. Yet, I still want to shop for my family of six like there's a toddler at home.  So why am I surprised when a bag of Goldfish crackers disappears in an instant?

Part of this denial is due largely in part to rising food costs.  I am determined to not increase our monthly food budget.  I consider myself to be a pretty savvy shopper when it comes to the grocery store.  We don't buy a lot of meat, junk food is minimal, and I shop the ads from the local grocery stores.  I clip coupons for the things we use, and I buy some items in bulk from the warehouse store.  I know when something is at a good price, or if it will usually go cheaper.  It's a gift.  I can still tell you what we paid for sirloin steak when my husband and I first married seventeen years ago.  Those were the days we had steak and baked potatoes every Friday night.

Sigh.

I had just about decided the best way to reduce the cost of food in our home was to put us all on a steady diet of ramen noodles.  Okay, I'm kidding, I'm kidding.  Mostly.  Remember, I am the mom whose children prefer spaghetti and meatballs from a can.

Instead I decided to challenge myself to feed my family for less each month, without sacrificing quality or quantity.  Note:  I don't want to increase the amount of time I spend in the kitchen.

Stay tuned for the next post where I'll detail the first steps of my plan which includes some freezer cooking.  If you have any ideas to help me along, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment