Friday, October 12, 2012

What's Your Verse?

I just thought the week we had a dead battery was tough. This week made that one look like recess. By the end of the day yesterday, I was not my usually cheery self. I usually try to avoid writing about tough times, but as a part of life, those times are inevitable. One of my sanctuaries this week has been pouring myself into my marathon training. The structure and plan has given me something to focus on and take my mind off of difficulty.

An incident after yesterday's run brought me to a breaking point. A discussion with my husband helped me find the perspective I needed. He reminded me of a verse he turns to when things like this happen: "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you." I Peter 4:12 (NASB)

My response was the verse I turn to: "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him." James 1:5 (NASB)

I have also let these lyrics run over my mind this morning as I face today with a different attitude. This is from  tobymac's "Get Back Up"

We lose our way,
We get back up again
It's never too late to get back up again,
One day you will shine again,
You may be knocked down,
But not out forever 

You can find the full lyrics here.

Do you have a verse you turn to? Or maybe a specific song that helps you when times are rough?

No comments:

Post a Comment