Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Make an Investment

I was thrilled yesterday when the mail came.  When I order something I really want, I’m like my son with his birthday.  I can’t wait!  So I’ve been anxiously checking the mail every day.  My children didn’t exactly share my joy when I showed them the contents of my package.  In fact, they looked at me kind of funny.  I told them this was a very important key to my future.
Why should I be ecstatic over ordering a book that contains over a thousand pages?  You may be looking at me kind of funny right now, too.  Well, let me tell you why I’m excited.
I am cheap.  I hate to spend money.  I am a low-maintenance, discount, red-label, bargain shopper.  I see that as a good thing, although the rest of my family may disagree.  At times, though, my thrifty tendencies can keep me from doing the things I need to do. 
Now back to the book I ordered.  This is a valuable tool for me to have as a writer.  I have looked at this book several different times over the last few years.  A professor in my first Creative Writing class recommended it.  I’ve just never taken the step to buy it.  I don’t know why; it’s not that expensive.  It would be an investment in myself.  Of course, we know that investment really just means to spend money, right?  That’s where my cheapness kicks in.  So I’m thankful that I have my number one fan to push me to spend the money I need to, or else I would not move forward.
It’s not impossible to pursue goals without the right tools, but getting to the finish can be easier if sometimes we take those small investments to help manage our resources and time.
Have you put off buying any of the tools you need to pursue your goals?  What’s stopping you from moving forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment