Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Am I making my children weird?

My daughter came home with a homework assignment to watch a weather forecast on television.  It should be an easy enough assignment to complete, right?  Well, my third grade daughter had to let her teacher know “we don’t have TV.”
Now this little girl has flair, and she doesn’t mind the limelight one bit.  I’m sure it didn’t faze her one bit to speak up and let her teacher know this in front of class.  But it got me to thinking.  Am I making my children weird?
We made the decision to eliminate satellite from our home almost two years ago, partly to save money and partly because there were so many conflicts between the kids about what to watch.  I’ve always felt TV was a big time waster anyway (not to mention a lot of junk to filter through) so it was a positive change to me.  My children didn’t agree, but they've moved on.         
 As a mother, I often wonder if I’m doing something to mess up my kids.  This is one decision I haven’t second guessed.  What have we missed out on?
 Absolutely nothing.
My children play games together, read more, and it's a treat to rent a movie.  I don’t have to worry about the negative factors because I can control what’s in my home.  Evenings are quieter, and bedtimes come earlier.  We are not inundated by pop culture, at least at home.
So am I making my children weird? 
With these results, I can live with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment