Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Talking Tech

Last week when I was cutting my youngest son’s hair, I asked him if he’d like me to do something different this time.  He thought for a moment, then gave me a serious look.  “If I don’t like it, can I delete it?”
My daughter was searching for a missing shoe in the closet.  She came to me and asked, “Can I use the flashlight on your phone?”
My oldest daughter sent me an email from school one day to let me know something she wanted for Christmas was on sale. 
My husband asks me why I still say “Hello” every time I answer his calls.  “...like you don’t know who it is?” 
I find it funny, especially with children, how everyday speech and actions have changed due to technology.  My children have changed in the way they talk and interact with others.  They usually follow my example.  These changes are not unusual, but part of a new normal. 
Some of the changes from technology do make me a little crazy.  A text is no longer just a noun, but it has become a verb too.  Texted is an actual word (an intransitive verb) according to the Merriam-Webster app on my phone.  As awkward as it sounds, I guess I’ll have to live with that one. 

But there are positives with technology I wouldn’t change.  My quiet child has communicated with me in ways I couldn't have planned.  She sends me funny texts, pictures, and random sayings.  We have ongoing jokes that we send back and forth.  We are closer because we communicate even when we're apart.  Although, I could do without the texts that ask me to please come turn off her bedroom light because she is comfortable and doesn't want to get out of bed.   
How has technology changed the things you say or do?     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment