Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Frozen Pencils

My kids have an after school routine that is fairly consistent.  Even little Aubrey in Kindergarten knows the drill.  He takes his backpack to the table, picks up his homework folder, and then opens the freezer to get out a pencil.
That’s right.  He gets his pencil from the freezer.
You know, we haven’t always kept pencils in the freezer, and maybe some of you are thinking I’m a little weird with this absurdity.  I even resisted at first.  I mean, was it really too difficult for them to walk to the desk and get one from the pencil cup?
It started with a trip to the library to register for the summer reading program.  The prize for signing up was a color change pencil, where the colors change according to temperature.  When we came home, immediately four pencils went into the freezer lined up side by side.  They had to see the alternate color and I was told it would take too long in the refrigerator. 
Once the school year started, the collection in the freezer grew as my younger kids would bring home new pencils.  They have added a birthday pencil, a rainbow pencil, and a special pencil from a best friend.  These pencils don’t change color, but for some reason my kids think the freezer is the place to store them. 
It’s just another one of those things that make my kids who they are. 
I love that about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment