Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Joy of Strength Training

Yes, you read the title correctly.  It does say joy, and no, I have not completely lost it - yet.  Of course, those who know I enjoy to run probably already think I've lost it.

Back in January when I was setting some goals, I came to realize how weak I was physically.  Let me clarify why I think strength training is a joy, because I don't enjoy the actual activity of weight lifting, working biceps/triceps, lunges, pushups, and situps.  Oh, and how could I forget the planks?  If you're not familiar with what a plank is, let me tell you they're not fun.  They are a regular pain in the glutes!  I also get bored easily while I'm doing all this, and staying in the same place doing slow, steady repetitions does not appeal to my personality.  You can ask my family.  I don't like to be still.

But after three months of at least twice a week of strength training, I've started to see noticeable improvements.  Here are my top five:

  • I didn't need the Home Depot employee to load the bags of top soil on my cart.
  • I can carry several bags of groceries with one arm, including a gallon of milk (without straining).
  • I spent over three hours working in my garden on Monday - raking, weed whacking, and planting.  The best part - I wasn't sore the next day!
  • Load a case of water in the grocery cart?  No problem.
    And my favorite benefit of strength training:

  • I can easily pick up my six year old when he falls asleep on the couch and carry him to bed.  I know my time is limited for this one, but I'm going to take advantage of every chance I have to baby my baby.  Even if he has to be asleep.
There's my continued motivation, and if I become a faster runner in the process then that's just a nice little bonus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment