Thursday, December 15, 2011

For the sake of our children

What is it about our children that makes us lose our sense of logic at times?

Last week, our family attended Aubrey's Kindergarten Christmas program.  When it was over, I was speechless.

Of course the chairs were all filled, and people were standing in the back.  This wasn't our first go-round, so we arrived early enough to sit in the chairs lined along the wall (no worries of someone sitting in front of us).  Everything was fine until they dimmed the lights and pulled the curtain back from the stage.

I honestly thought there might be a celebrity on the stage.  It became a photo shoot and gathering of fans.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for supporting my children, and I'm a proud mom.  But sometimes I think we need to reign in our pride a bit.  Here are a few basic notes I believe should be followed when watching our children perform.

1.  When your child is on a stage (under lights) and you're sitting in the dark, it really doesn't matter how long you stand and wave.  He can't see you.

2.  If you stand to take a photo, please be considerate of the people behind you trying to watch the program.  Especially if you're in the front two rows.

3.  This is not the time to toss out sarcastic comments to those who are standing in front of you.  It's difficult to hear the children sing.  Be an example for those around you.  A positive one.  Although I used those comments I heard to further explain the meaning of inappropriate behavior to Abby who was sitting  next to me.

As a parent, I was disappointed for the sake of the children performing.  I was embarrassed for some of the adults who behaved in this manner.  This should have been an enjoyable evening.

It makes me wonder if it was just this particular group of adults, or is this spectacle becoming more common.  Have we become so self-absorbed and senseless that we lose sight of what's important? 

Let's use our sense for the sake of our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment