Thursday, December 1, 2011

Grading Myself

Do you ever have those times when you get really down on yourself?  Sometimes, it’s not even because of something you can control.   
A few months ago, I went through a tough time as a mother.  There were a lot of changes in my life, and I was able to spend more time with my children.  Instead of feeling like I was making a difference, all I could see was what I had done wrong.  Daily, there was something happening that would add to my feelings of inadequacy.  There was a time I even told my husband, “I’m failing at this.  If I was given a report card for motherhood, this would be my first failing grade.”
I guess I can be a little hard on myself. 
Fortunately, others in my life are a little more forgiving of me than I am of myself.  When I mess up, my kids are quick to accept my apology and move on.  Even if they’re mad at me for something I think I did right, they get up the next day and give me a new start.  They don’t hold grudges.    
It makes me thankful too, that even when I feel like I’m earning an “F” in my life I have the ability to start over at anytime.  My God gives me second chances (and third, and fourth…).  My report card in life can go from an “F” to an “A” anytime.  All I have to do is ask.
My God forgives me.  My husband and children forgive me.  My friends forgive me.  It’s time for me to do a better job of forgiving myself.  I’m going to make mistakes, and that’s okay.  
Do you ever grade yourself? 
You can make every day an "A."  Just ask.    

No comments:

Post a Comment