Thursday, January 19, 2012

Goal 3: My Work

When I originally wrote out my goals by hand, I titled the page "My Career."  Later, as I looked down at the list, I felt a little funny because nothing I wrote brings home a salary. I think I should have titled it something like "Things I would like to be paid for."  Instead, I put my focus on calling these goals my work.  It's part of who I am and what I do whether I earn money from it or not.

I don't feel as vulnerable as I did sharing my faith goals, but I still feel a little nervous sharing them.  They reveal more about me on a personal level, and I'm the type of person who likes to stay in the background.  Yes, I'm a wallflower.    

1. Finish my book.
I started a book last fall that is meant to be an inspirational pick-me-up.  The trouble is that on the tough days, it's hard to write inspiring thoughts for others. I've had to  to give myself some hard deadlines to work on this no matter how bad the day is. These deadlines include a book proposal and sample chapters to be completed. Soon.  This goal is also dependent upon 5 a.m. mornings. I can write when my mind is fresh and not impeded by teenager attitudes or whining youngsters.  This goal is probably one of my biggest challenges.
  
2. Launch a running blog.
Running has become a passion of mine, like writing, but I didn't want to bore my nonrunning readers with the details.. So I'm working a separate blog. It's a little scary to try something different, but exciting too. It is tiered for beginners but I hope it will appeal to runners of any level. 

3. Continue with weekly posts on this blog covering topics as they come up in my life.
I've tried to write ahead and schedule posts, but something more interesting always comes up. I'm going to let my day to day life continue to direct my writing.  I enjoy writing, and this blog lets my personality come through for those who don't know me very well (because I'm so quiet).    

4. Establish more of a local running community.
I'm still working out these details.  I'm a solo runner most of the time, but I enjoy sharing goals, chatting with other runners at local races, and encouraging others.  Again, I'm an introvert so this will truly challenge my comfort zone.

This sums up my goals that I've set for myself.  Next week, I'll post on my progress and how I've fared for the first month of the year.

Accountability.  It works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment