Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Our Challenging Child

In the past year, I have written a lion's share of posts about my children.  I realize that I have almost excluded one subject with the exception of this post .  The irony is this:  it is the driving force behind the two books I am writing.  But I promised to share my progress with you.

I haven't intentionally avoided writing about the difficulties my husband and I face in parenting our oldest child.  It's just not a fun subject, and can be emotionally draining.    

My 15 year-old son is what I like to call a "challenging child."  Strong-willed is too weak a descriptor.  To give a synopsis - he likes to test the limits (and then some).  It is too lengthy to share much here, but we have been on a roller coaster of a journey since he was four.  It is the main reason the progression of my book slowed almost to a halt this past year.  Those days when I struggle to form a smile, the last thing I want to do is relive a moment by writing about it.  But I understand I need to capture that exact emotion in order to relate to others.

I realize I am opening myself up to vulnerability, but I believe our family has a story that needs to be shared.  A story to let others know they are not alone.  A story of endurance and survival.  I know God has led our family down this path for a reason.  I know He wants us to reach out and help others with what we have learned.  It's not a fun story, but it is our reality. 

Last week, I finished the first draft of a devotional book for mothers.  I'm stepping out on a limb here, because I was sure I heard God wrong on this one.  I do not consider myself qualified to that level of writing.  (I mean, come on, you've read my posts.)  But I continue writing, hoping that the words I put down are truly what He wants me to say.  I am now working on the revision process, and evaluating the next step in the publishing process.

In the meantime, I am continuing work on the proposal for my other book.  This book will be a support and encouragement for parents.  I will share our story, and hope the process helps others in similar situations.  I expect to finalize the sample chapters next week.

I know there are many parents out there who have a challenging child.  The diagnosis may be different.  Situations may be different.  But we need to know we're not alone in our struggles.  If I can just encourage one person with our story, it will be worth the time invested.

Can you think of someone who has a challenging child?     

No comments:

Post a Comment