Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Sounds of Summer

I am in the throes of my first summer home with the children in four years.  Even though I knew it would be tough (I do have a challenging child), I am enjoying the relaxed routine.  The house is coming into order, I am making substantial progress as a writer, and I have not been bombarded by the phrase"there's nothing to eat around here."

But it's a little noisy around here, and I've been frustrated with some of the sentences I hear myself repeating day after day.

To change my perspective, I came up with what I would love to say instead. 
  • "Are you sure you're ready to go to bed?  It's only 9:00."
  • "Thank you so much for replacing the roll of toilet paper."
  • "Wow!  You washed, dried, and put your clothes away.  All in the same day."
  • "Only one bowl of cereal for breakfast?"
  • "I haven't heard an argument all day."
  • "You picked up the floor in your room.  Now what will the puppy chew on?"
  • "Thank you for doing the dishes right after dinner."
  • "Are you sure you don't want to play any video games today?"
Ah, I can dream, can't I?

Moms, what would you like to hear more of ?  Add yours to the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment