Tuesday, June 19, 2012

15 Habits Update: Days 6-10

For the past two weeks, I've been focusing my blog topics on working through a 15 day challenge from Jeff Goins.  My last post summarized my progress for days one through five, so now I'll focus on days six through ten.

Since my biggest obstacle right now is trying to believe in myself (from day 2), I was pleased to find some of these challenges much easier.  Day 7 taught me that it is okay for my work to be primitive (ugly) before it becomes smooth and refined.  This freed my writing time.  I spend less time on the backspace key.  More ideas make it to the screeen. 

Day 8 affirmed what I have been doing by working my book to completion.  Instead of starting another project, I am positive I will be halfway through my first draft this Thursday.  I have started gathering people to read my work, give honest feedback, and keep me on task.

The area where I'm having trouble right now is in connecting with other writers.  While I have the ability to read blogs and other information on my iPhone, it's more difficult for me to comment, join forums, and seek out discussions with other writers.  We don't have the internet at home.  I know this is something I eventually need to work on, but for now the penny pincher in me is winning.  

The day 10 challenge was easier.  Even though I am a day behind, I hope you'll indulge me in sharing what I've been reading.  This was one of my goals for the year,  and the pick for June was short and powerful.  I hope you have had a chance to read Who Moved My Cheese.  It was much more than what I thought it would be.  Note to those who haven't read it:  I would not recommend reading this on an empty stomach.

If you're looking for humor, I recommend Jon Acuff's site Stuff Christians Like.  If you have spent any time in the church, I promise you will laugh out loud.  He also has another blog with great ideas on moving forward with goals. 

For ministry minded reading, take a look at Paul Stohler's blog.  His wife Michelle shares insights on life with young children on her blog Seriously Underpaid.


If there is someone's writing that has impacted you, please share. 

Five habits to go, and I already sense a difference in the direction of my life.  I'm so glad you've joined me on this journey! 



 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment