Friday, June 29, 2012

Garbage In - Garbage Out

I went for a run one day last week, and switched from my usual music to break up the routine.  About halfway through my run, I realized why I always listen to the same radio station.   
The tempo was upbeat for running, but some of the lyrics were unacceptable.  If I do not want to hear my six year old singing it, then it should go off.  I thought back to when my husband first became a Christian, and we went through every music CD and movie in the house.  We threw out anything that fell out of line with our beliefs.
Even though we do not have satellite or cable tv at home, I’m not completely cut off from “entertainment.”  I have become increasingly concerned with topics of discussion, what is considered “acceptable” language, and the portrayal of family on television shows.  Christianity has become a joke, sometimes in such a manner we don’t realize it.  For example, how many people know what the ABC show GCB actually stands for?  I have also had a discussion with my oldest daughter that when she “likes” a photo on Facebook, she needs to make sure the message is something that lines up with our values.  If there is any language there, she’s promoting it.         
We waste our time watching “reality” drama, while families around us need our help!  We invest time and money in our children by carting them all over to activities, but we don’t spend enough time teaching them values.  God’s values.  We do not point out what is wrong with situations, but laugh along with others to fit in.  We no longer flinch when we hear vulgar language.   We let our young daughters dress like they’re going to a club, and often times we dress that way too.   
We do not want to stand out.  As a result, we have become desensitized. 
Isn’t it time to say enough is enough?
What will it take for us to stand up to what is wrong with the culture?  Aren’t our children’s futures enough of a reason?
I don’t know about you, but I don’t want my children to think things are fine in the world.  I don’t want them to say “That’s just the way things are.”  I don’t want them to join the crowd because it’s easier than taking a stand.  I want them to stand for what’s right, and they must learn that from my example.
I will delete music that doesn’t line up with our values.  I will stand firm in overseeing what my children watch and listen to.  I will dress modestly and I will keep my speech pure.  I will keep a “hands on” approach to parenting no matter how much they protest.
I will be unpopular.  I will be weird.  I will stand out.     
“Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”  Philippians 4:8 NASB  

What will you do?      
Don't let it stop here!  Spread the word, and take action! 

It will be worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment