Friday, November 30, 2012

Goal Check (Update)

With a little over a month to go in the year, I thought it would be good to take a few minutes to evaluate yearly goals. Back in January, I wrote about setting goals instead of resolutions, and I want this to become an ongoing process with me. My first update can be found here. As I said before, I like having the accountability of reporting to others. It keeps me in line.

For the three areas of my life where I set goals, I can see some progress. I also see areas where I need to either focus more or completely change specific goals. I'm not making excuses, but a lot can happen in a year.

1. My Faith: My daily quiet time became a priority for a good portion of the year, but when school started, I had some trouble. Then in October and November after I started working part-time, I got derailed. I'm trying to get my morning routine back. Reading my Bible daily was the same as above. I failed on the scripture memorization goal. I even tried to do it with the kids, but it didn't become the priority I wanted it to be. I know how important this is, so I don't want to scratch it. I just don't know how to get there.

2. My Health: I did read more books this year. Next year's goal should probably be to turn in a library book before I have exceeded all my renewals. Finishing a book within two weeks would be even better. Getting up at 5 every morning is habit now, since Ashley has swim practice early each weekday. But I'm not getting the productivity here I wanted. With my running, I have become a stronger and faster. I still hate my scale. I try to eat better, but I also indulge. I'm anticipating a new personal record in the marathon next week in Dallas. You will probably get an update on that soon after.

3. My Work: I roughly finished my first book, but it's different from the one I wrote about in January. That one is still in the works. I did launch a running blog in January, so I don't have to bore my non-running readers. You can check it out here. Weekly posts will hopefully be routine on this blog again, now that my training has scaled back and marching band/football season is over.

I hope you were able to set some goals at the first of the year. It's a good time to evaluate where you are, and there is still time to finish some up. I'd love to hear about your progress! 

No comments:

Post a Comment